Stuart Hwy Comedy Tour
In May 2016 my partner in crime Danielle Andrews and I hosted stand up comedy workshops and showcases in regional centres along the Stuart Hwy. Supported by the Northern Territory Government, The Stuart Hwy Stand Up tour was an initiative to discover and develop new comedians.
More than 30 people participated and well over half were trying comedy for the first time! We had over 200 people watch the showcases and support new acts in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine and Darwin. It was a huge success and we are so proud of everyone that got involved!
Some of the positive outcomes of this project included:
- 31 comedians participated in the workshops, 23 of the 31 performed comedy for the first time
- A combined audience of 210 attended the showcases in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine and Darwin
- 100% of those who completed the survey (22 participants) said they enjoyed the workshop and found it inspiring. 100% said they would recommend it to a friend, 100% said they would participate again if it was in their town and 20 out of 22 said the workshop DEFINITELY made them feel more confident about performing comedy.
- Four new venues were engaged with Epilogue Lounge, Sporties Bar, Djilpin Arts and Darwin Bowls Club hosting local comedy nights for the first time. And all four venues expressed interest in running similar nights due to the success of the showcases
- A comedy tour circuit has been developed for NT and visiting comedians down Stuart Hwy with contacts, support acts, venues and audiences in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine and Darwin.
Thanks to the NT Government for funding this initiative and also thanks to Katherine Regional Arts, Barkly Arts, Brown’s Mart, Red Centre Comedy Crew, Top End Comedy, Epilogue Lounge, Sporties Club Tennant Creek, Djilpin Arts and Darwin Bowls and Social Club for supporting it.